Tuesday, November 08, 2005

More Tales From The Garden

The rats appear to have either decamped, or they're all dead. We've not seen a rat for days now and my next-door neighbour told me he'd found a dead one in his garden. I wish their occupation could have ended without their deaths.

However, on a brighter note, the rabbit has continued to visit daily and demand 3 square meals. I was right about it's companion, that one was found dead in the road, just like the first one. Our friendly Lagomorpha appears to be a Chinchilla and is obviously tame rather than wild. It will approach right up to me and allow me to stroke it briefly as it eats. The weather here has been awful with heavy rain and dropping temperatures and the rabbit is wet through when it comes for it's breakfast, I don't know where it sleeps although we know it has dug a hole in our front garden but that is waterlogged now.

"Right," my daughter Diane said yesterday, "This is ridiculous, come on!" and off we went to "Pets At Home," and we bought a hutch. (Oh how easily I am led!) This came complete with bedding and food and vitamin supplements and treats and we set it up in the garden next to my shed, getting wet through in the process. That's when we discovered the fatal flaw in the plan. No way could we persuade that rabbit to come out of the pouring rain and luxuriate in this warm and dry apartment with lashings of exotic rabbit food - and cabbage, carrots, swedes etc.

Today was just the same. I had it by the back of it's neck for a few brief seconds, (you should have heard it's language!), and I nearly snared it with my fishing landing net but it's still out there, wet and cold and this nice dry hutch is still empty.

So then, this is my plea to the world. How the hell can I get that rabbit into the hutch ? Because of today's efforts it quite correctly regards me as a threat and although it still allows me to place a bowl of food in front of it, I suspect that stroking is now considered to be rabbit harassment. The trouble is I'm worried that it can't survive too much longer in this foul weather. As it says in a free book about rabbits that came with the hutch, "Never let it out in cold or wet weather, as it might get a chill."

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Quote from: "How to care for your rabbit" by Louise Brown - Kingdom Books 2001

1 Comments:

At 7:34 pm, Blogger Mark said...

I'm not sure. If the rabbit was once a tame one, then after all the effort it made to escape, it ain't going to want to be caught again. Have you tried just leaving the door open with food inside? Let it get used to it being there and the freedom of coming and going as it likes, and eventually it might settle down. As for rabbits not surviving the rain and wind, well they seem to be doing pretty well at Hindley station!

At the moment, I've got problems with a pair of macho squirrels who are daily fighting each other for my back garden and the bird-food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home