Tuesday, June 21, 2005

INSURANCE, WHO NEEDS IT?

Last weekend somebody threw a stone at my living room, double glazed, window and put a neat circular crack in the outer pane.
Great........
However, what's done is done and now I need to replace the window unit. I pay approximately £168 a year to insure the "bricks and mortar" of my home. This includes the windows.
Ok, first I ring the insurance company, they in turn contact a glazing firm, the glazier arrives, measures up, goes away and makes/buys a window unit, he returns a few days after and replaces the window, I pay him, the insurer pays me and we're all happy, right?
Wrong!
Firstly, the nice man at the insurance company informs me that their "excess" charge has doubled from £50 to £100 and they now use a new glazier from much further away. I ask him to refrain from sending the glazier to see me until I've had a few quotes from local firms.
Would you believe it! A very nice man who, literally, lives a 1/2 mile away came to meausure up and later the same day gave me a quote for replacing and fitting the window for........wait for it......
£105!
He got the job.
I rang the insurance company and told them to cancel the claim and I informed them I am cancelling their policy on the last day of this month and using another firm who are giving me greater cover for slightly less money and with an "excess" of only £50.
The "claim" that I didn't make has duly appeared "on the system," and it has affected the price of the new policy, but only by about £10 a year.

Can anybody tell me what I was actually paying my premiums for?

1 Comments:

At 6:42 pm, Blogger Mark said...

Peace of mind! Isn't it great that caring Insurance Companies exist to ensure that their customer's receive the best quality service ever, and that profit is of secondary importance.

A similar thing happened to my wife when she had an acident in the car. The bill to repair was the same as the excess on the policy give or take £20, so we wanted to cancel the claim. Could we ever? Not a chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home