Thursday, May 18, 2006

Cause for concern?





Today, my grandson Scott, age 17 took delivery of his new pride and joy, his first motor vehicle.
Unfortunately it's not a car, it's a scooter. A 125cc, four-stroke machine, capable, so the salesman beamed of at least 60 mph. His mother ran him to the showroom to pick it up and watched him ride away. He was supposed to be coming straight here, (he and his mum, Diane, live with us), but, despite the fact that he was on 2 wheels and Diane was in her car, she arrived home 3/4 of an hour before him. His excuse was that he got held up in traffic! Diane was, of course, on tenterhooks until he arrived. He went out again minutes later and so far, 3 hours later, we've not seen hide nor hair of him. When he finally gets home,Di is going to go ballistic and I will be required to back her up and play the heavy.



The thing is, I remember only too well when I got my motor bike. I was aged 16 and mine too was a 125cc machine, but a "proper" motorbike with gears an' all. I remember the sheer thrill of twisting that throttle grip and accelerating effortlessly, the wind whistling into the crash helmet, the vibration, the sound, the sheer joy of cutting through the air on an empty country road, I felt like shouting and I did, long, loud and deliriously happy.

Is this him coming down the garden path? Time to disappear for a wee dram, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home